As the travel and tourism industry continues to be impacted internationally by the COVID-19 with more than 750,890 confirmed cases worldwide (as of March 31st, 2020), it is important for the Los Cabos Tourism Board to proactively engage with industry partners and stakeholders and communicate the state of travel to the destination.
According to Mexico’s Health Department, as of March 31st, 2020, there are 1,215 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country, which includes, 11 cases in Los Cabos. All confirmed cases have been in quarantine and are under close medical supervision to avoid the spread of the virus. Real-time updates of COVID-19 in Baja California sur can be found here: https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/english/.
It is important to take a proactive step to communicate to the travel trade industry all safety measures that are being implemented by the destination to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the community.
The following toolkit is intended to equip you to better respond to incoming inquiries from tourists looking to travel to the destination during the following months.
SOME KEY MESSAGES
▪ The Los Cabos Tourism Board continues to monitor the situation and communicate guidance offered by the Mexican authorities. Travel information related to the coronavirus is being shared on our digital channels.
▪ Tourism is the heartbeat of Los Cabos. 90% of our population depends on this industry and we are committed to effectively communicate the latest updates on the virus in the destination.
▪ The health and safety of our visitors is our top priority and special protocols have been implemented by the airport and port, which are the only ports of entry for international travelers.
• As of March 20th, 2020, the U.S. government announced the temporary closing of the U.S. and Mexico border to nonessential travel in response to the global impact of COVID-19. Also, given the recent cancellations announced by all main cruise lines internationally, the Cruise Port in Los Cabos is not welcoming any cruises at this time.
• On March 30th, 2020, the Federal and State Authorities declared a national health emergency in the country closing non-essential businesses from March 30th, 2020 until April 30th, 2020.
• On March 30th, 2020, the Federal and State Authorities, announced that it is necessary to extend social distancing measures and close all non-essential businesses until April 30th, 2020.
• Los Cabos private and public sector have agreed to pause all activities related to tourism during April, including hotels, restaurants, bars and public beaches, they also encouraged all national and international travelers to postpone their upcoming vacation time to Los Cabos in an effort to avoid the spread of the virus across the state.
• Los Cabos has imposed a ban on large events and private gatherings, including churches and religious organizations, of more than 25 people to contain the spread of COVID-19.
• The Los Cabos Tourism Board continues to monitor the situation and communicate guidance offered by the Mexican authorities. Travel information related to the coronavirus is being shared on our digital channels.
• Tourism is the heartbeat of Los Cabos. 90% of our population depends on this industry and we are committed to effectively communicating the latest updates on the virus in the destination.
▪ Real time situation of Coronavirus in Baja California Sur
▪ Government of Mexico, Health Department
o COVID-19 Country Updates (In Spanish)
▪ U.S. Department of State
o Travel Recommendation on Cruise Ship Passenger
▪ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
▪ World Health Organization (WHO)
1) Faq for travelers. 2) Reactive statement 3) Containment protocol 4) Message from Los Cabos Tourism Board 5) Message from Los Cabos Tourism Board
6) Q & A for social media 7) Comunicado Técnico Diario Covid-19 ( Spanish) 8) Flyer Covid-19 9) COVID 19 - First case confirmed 10) COVID 19 - Caso confirmado 11) Tool Kit Landing